Sunday, April 22, 2012

Earth Day

In honor of Earth Day I made the conscious choice today that I would hang laundry outside on the line. Growing up we hung everything on the line but our backyard was next to a cornfield so no one saw the line, now living in town I limit my laundry to sheets and towels. I always feel a little green and money saving when I hang laundry out and oh the smell of fresh sheets hung out to dry, amazing! 


I actually grew up in a family who was big into reduce, reuse, recycle. We recycled everything, paper, cardboard, plastic, glass you name it we recycled. I can't tell you how many bread bags and Ziploc bags I washed and rewashed. We reused aluminum foil and all gifts were opened with a knife so that the wrapping paper could be reused. To this day I have a hard time ripping into gift wrap because I feel I am being wasteful. I don't wash Ziploc bags any longer but I also avoid using them at all costs. I use reusable containers for lunch and if I take my lunch to work in a plastic bag it gets used until it is ripping and then I recycle it at the local grocery store. But I also avoid using plastic bags and have a wide variety, about 20 reusable bags of varying sizes, that I use when I go shopping. My favorite place to use my reusable bags are Target and Family Thrift Center because they give me 5 cents off per bag I use per shopping trip. Being paid to go green, I love it! 
How are you going green today and every day?

1 comment:

  1. Love the post Lacey! I grew up in a very similar family, we definitely saved and reused wrapping paper and all sorts of things like you mention. I agree that other reusable bags these days are even better - the sandwich bags I have can be thrown in the laundry!

    ReplyDelete