Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Homemaker Day

I often joke with my husband that I should be a stay at home wife and his answer is always a resounding no. Stay at home mom is fine but stay at home wife won't work so I guess I will continue working. However, today is a day off and I must say that in the past 5 hours, yes, I got up at 5 am today, I have been incredibly productive.
Barry had to go to Albuquerque for work today so we were up early. I dropped him at the airport and was at the gym by 6 (don't get too excited I haven't been to the gym in a few weeks) but I got a good walk with a little running in, then I came home, threw in some wash (fabric for my afternoon sewing), and starting my baking and freezer jam. I must say I am quite pleased with the fruits of my labor thus far and below is a little teaser for you. I am going to do my best not to eat the entire rhubarb crisp before Barry returns Thursday night and to accomplish that I may just have to keep the desert in the fridge, out of site, out of mind right. 


I have the feeling that if this became habit along with making a lunch and having a warm dinner on the table every night I may be able to convince my husband that I could be a stay at home wife and then you could call me June Cleaver. What do you think? 


Rhubarb Strawberry Jam


4 cups Rhubarb
3 cups Strawberries
2 cups Sugar
2 3-oz boxes Strawberry Jello


Boil rhubarb and sugar for 8 minutes. Add strawberries and boil for 2-3 minutes more. If using fresh strawberries boil longer. (I used frozen so they were already pretty soft.) Take off stove and add both boxes of Jello. Put in jars and cool. May be frozen or keep in refrigerator. 


Rhubarb Crisp




I used the recipe from my Betty Crocker cookbook but I tripled the crisp. I grew up in a double crisp family because we would eat the crisp before it was cooked so that's our tradition. Doubling and still snacking allows for a layer of crisp on the bottom and crisp on the top, yum! 

No comments:

Post a Comment